Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Culture Regret

Three years ago, or maybe four, I joined a culture I now regret. At the time, I was pumped to bring the magic that went along with this culture into my home, but now I half regret it.  It's the Elf on the Shelf culture. Each night before I can go to sleep I need to find a new place for our family's elf, Nix, to "hide" until morning when my son excitedly seeks him out.  I have to make sure it's a new spot, a spot I can reach, and a place that no one will accidently touch him or need to move him. That's a lot of pressure! And then when he talks to other families with elves there's a sense of needing consistency between homes. There are rules that go along with having an Elf in your home. The elf has a way to dress and an book that lays out the culture, too.

1 comment:

  1. i really liked the story. i sometimes wish my family had a cutural thing like that.

    ReplyDelete