Friday, February 20, 2015

Merging cultures

We've talked a lot about cultures so far this quarter.  I hope I have stressed that there are many different cultures as well as more than one for everyone. Today's Snow Week dress-up day frustrates me a little bit because it is trying to categorize the student body into one of two cultures, the Athletes and Mathletes. When I was in high school, I would have  had a hard time believing that I could be a part of both; my years on the middle school volleyball team did not make me an athlete by any definition of the word. Today, though, I see myself as both. I honestly believe we are all nerds about something; we all have that one or two things we completely "geek out" over.  For me, I could "geek out" over books, especially Harry Potter ones. I could "geek out" over some specific musicians, certain movies, food, Las Vegas, Disney stuff, wordplay, Speech Team, 90s Trivia...the list goes on and on. I also consider myself an athlete now after quite a few competitive races from 3.1 miles to 4.5 miles to 6.2 miles to 13.1 miles.   The longer distances took training, modified diets, etc.  I definitely see myself as an athlete in that sense, too, due to those experiences.  How about you?  What cultures could you "geek out" over?  What makes you an athlete? Do you think you are or could be both?



4 comments:

  1. Most people are a bit of both athlete and mathlete. In my experience, I'm mostly a mathlete because I spend most of my time "geeking out" over TV shows and music. I would consider myself an athlete only because I've been spending most of my summers camping from early June to mid August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your confidence! This photo of you made me think "wow, my teacher is awesome!"

    ReplyDelete