Monday, December 2, 2013

A new culture, a new perception

I am an avid Black Friday shopper and have been for years (pretty much since I could drive).  Although I still went out shopping this year, it was a different experience for me.  My usual shopping buddies were unable to join me: my sister was with her boyfriend in Mankato, and my husband had to work.  I went out briefly with my mom Thursday evening, but I was mostly on my own Friday.  Mostly on my own translates into my son and I.  I realized that having an almost three-year-old with me completely changed other shoppers' perception of me.  While waiting in line at Herbergers with a cart full of presents and my son, people were going out of their way to help us out.  One lady said that I could cut in front of her if my little guy started getting antsy.  The woman behind me said that she would save my place if my son needed to go to the bathroom.  A man offered to carry my framed art if it was in my son's way. 

In the past, I've encountered some pretty cut-throat individuals while shopping.  I'm not entirely sure if it was because it was later in the morning (eleven-ish maybe?), or if it was because I had Murphy with, but the people I encountered seemed to represent a very different shopping culture compared to  last year, and the way people interacted with me was far more pleasant.  Maybe I'll have to take him with next year, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment