Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Indirect Mom

My mom has the Minnesota Nice thing down pretty well, and a big part of that is her mastery of indirect language.  Sometimes I don't understand if she expects something from me or is just suggesting it. She says things like, "Oh, it would be really nice if you could make it to__________," or "I've always wanted to go to __________ with Murphy" rather than just coming out and saying, "I need you to be at ________," or "Can I take Murphy to _________ on Saturday."  A lot of our disagreements and miscommunications could be avoided if she would just be a little more direct in her intentions.  I catch myself being indirect with my husband occasionally, but as soon as I realize it, I fix the indirect message to something more direct because I know how frustrating it can be to received an indirect statement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment