Monday, February 10, 2014

Looking for a thumbs up

Over the course of the weekend, I encountered a situation were nonverbal communication was necessary.  If you did not know already, I am a co-coach for the KoMets Speech Team, and this past weekend we competed at John Marshall. I was trying to observe as many KoMets as possible during the three round, but timing out when to enter a room and not be a disturbance can be challenging.  I was waiting to observe a poetry round, but wasn't sure when it was okay to enter the room. I peered through the very small window in the classroom door; I didn't' see anyone speaking, but those in the room were silent and staring forward as if someone was speaking. Eventually, I caught the eye of one of the students, a JM student. I signaled a thumbs up and raised my eyebrows to show I was questioning whether it was okay or not. I even mouthed "Okay?"  She gave me a thumbs up while nodding. If she hadn't been so clear in her communication, I might still be waiting outside that door...

source: http://damngoodcup.com/wp-content/uploads/thumbs-up.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment