Sunday, November 29, 2015

I hear ya! Er, I see you? I think you know what I mean...

Something we'll learn about in an upcoming chapter is active listening.  I realized today in church that I was showing all the signs of an active listener from eye contact, head nods, and verbal responses.  I looked around at one point and realized there were quite a few people looking in other directions, holding non-responsive facial expressions, and even playing with their phones.  I kept my eyes on the pastor and his face when he looked at those individuals, and realized he kept coming back to me, maybe because he knew I was paying attention still.

This got me thinking about my own classrooms. There are times when I am teaching a new concept that I can start to see students glaze over or get distracted by something else, not actively listening any longer, but there's always a couple in each class who keep the active listening signals going; I often look to those faces for reassurance just as my pastor was doing to me.

Seeing that full-circle really struck me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment