Wednesday, November 18, 2015

So much noise!

A big part of Chapter 1 talks about the concept of noise.  There are four kinds of noise it addresses, and already today I've been greatly distracted by two of them.

The first is physical noise. Starting about halfway through my day yesterday, the vent in the back of my room started squeaking.  It was described as a cricket, a sprinkler, and even a squeaky chair/desk.  For someone in my room for a short while, it might not have been very noticeable, but after listening to it for a full day, I was pretty certain I could hear it even after I left. Some students shared it made them unable to concentrate while reading yesterday; one student went so far as to cover her ears. That's a pretty clear example of it being physical noise, for her especially.

source: http://healtheatingfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Loud-noise-health-effects.jpg


Another kind of noise I am experiencing is psychological. In other words, my mind is distracted. Last night, my oven stopped working. That's not good with Thanksgiving around the corner, and two meals yet this week dependent on using the oven.  Plus, I LOVE baking holiday treats! Because I don't like things unfinished, my mind keeps going back to my family's need for a new stove while we are on a budget for my son's birthday and the holiday season in general.  I spent much of my prep first block doing research on affordable ovens in the area rather than what I had written on my to-do list because I was preoccupied with the need for an oven whenever I tried to get something done on my to-do list. This is a great example of psychological noise!

Source: http://www.essentialappliance.com/Pictures/uncooked_turkey.png


For those of you still trying to figure out the differences between the kinds of noise we discussed, I hope this helped a little bit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment