Friday, February 5, 2016

Culture Shock?

I think I'm about to experience a bit of culture shock. Chapter 2 is all about culture: the language, the clothing, the traditions, the celebrations.  I know heading to New Orleans, I'm going to run into a different accent and dialect (semantic noise), I'll hear different music than I'm used to, and come Tuesday, I bet I'll see dress and costumes that I'm not used to, too.

I love traveling! I love experiencing new things, new cultures, and more than anything else, new foods! I'm sure I'll have all kinds of examples of Interpersonal Communication to share when I get back.

6 comments:

  1. I remember when I went down to New Orleans for the choir and band trip. There was a great deal of differences there than from what I am used to here in a small town.
    In my sociology class we were talking about New Orleans and the things that happened after Hurricane Katrina. Many people would leave to find jobs. After they found a job the parents would try to enroll their child in the nearby school, but many of the times they wouldn't be accepted. So the parents' solution was to send their children back home alone to go to school there. And because of this, the crime rates rose. The children were committing the crimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is REALLY interesting! That might explain the amount of younger homeless people I saw on Frenchman Street and the French Market in the evenings. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. When I went to Las Vegas, it was a different atmosphere. Minnesota is a pretty slow place, compared to Las Vegas. Everything was so fast there and people were always in a rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegas is one of my favorite places on the planet, and I can see exactly what you mean by the pace of life mentioned.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This relates to our chapter very well. I think that even though we all live in the same country going to different areas can feel as foreign as another continent.

    ReplyDelete