Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Yogurt Conflict


Chapter 2 was all about culture, and while in New Orleans eating breakfast, I encountered a difference in culture that I found both disturbing and humorous.  We stayed at an Embassy Suites while there, and the hotel hosted a HUGE breakfast each morning.  One of my favorite things there was their extra goopy oatmeal (I'm salivating just looking at this picture).  Next to the oatmeal was a fruit and yogurt bar. On my first morning getting breakfast there, I scooped my oatmeal into a bowl and added my favorite toppings.  Then I saw the yogurt.  I decided I'd put some of the strawberry yogurt in a bowl, too.  Just then, this lady with a strong local accent walked up behind me, ranting, "Don't any of these folks know that yogurt goes on a plate, A PLATE, and not no darn dish.  Really?! Leave the bowls for the hot eats." Needless to say, I turned a little red in the face and booked it to my table before I made another cultural mistake. I also didn't make that same mistake the next morning out of fear the same loud lady would be there looking for me. Regardless of the embarrassment, that oatmeal was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment