Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Play?

Yesterday, Murphy and I went over to a family friend's house for lunch and board games.  The first game we played was called "Toss the Cookies."  After that, we took an ice cream break, and then we played a Disney Trivial Pursuit game.  Murphy was playing with some toys  in the other room after ice cream, and instead of asking if he was going to come play the Disney game, I simply asked "Murphs, are you going to play?" I meant play the board game, but he thought I meant stay and play with the toys he was currently playing with. It took me a couple times of asking the same question to understand that we were each interpreting the word "play" differently.  That's an example of miscommunication in words, or verbal miscommunication.

No comments:

Post a Comment