Tuesday, September 25, 2012

More Toddler Talk...

Earlier I posted ways that I am an active listener with my son.  Since he is learning to talk, not all of his words are clear or understandable.  I'm noticing, though, that I am often stepping in to help others understand what he is saying.  Without thinking, I often translate his words and phrases.  It doesn't matter if the audience is someone who knows his "language," someone who doesn't know his "language," or if it is just the two of us.  I'm not entirely sure why I am doing this.  At first, I think it started out as a way to demonstrate being an active listening; I was making sure I was getting his messages correct. Then, I think I continued to do it to make sure he was hearing the right way of saying things, so he could get his message across more clearly rather than getting frustrated when someone doesn't understand him. I do it so often now that I am starting to feel a little silly about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment