Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Room Supervisor

I had a very important job today; I was a room supervisor for the ACT test.  One of the responsibilities of this job was the very closely monitor the students testing in my room from 9am to 1:15 pm. That gave me a lot of time to make some nonverbal observations.  One thing I inferred was that the Math test was the most challenging for the Juniors in my room.  During that test, students were constantly shifting weight, bouncing their legs, running hands through hair, and even dropping pencils.  There was definitely a tenseness to the air in the room.  Students were also incredibly focused during the Reading test.  Their heads were down, and I didn't see any wandering eyes.  Eyes seemed to bounce from the test booklet to the answer sheet and back again; that's it.  When I gave the five minute warning, about half the room jumped. That was the only test the warning startled them.  I observed that the students in the room were pretty spent after the Writing test.  Most of them looked dazed and half asleep.  Those are just a few of the observations of nonverbal communication I made.


No comments:

Post a Comment