Friday, December 14, 2012

Students and Gender Roles

I've been struggling with a nasty cold lately and decided to stay home yesterday and rest, with hopes of kicking it. Although I am feeling quite a bit better, I'm not sounding much better.  Feeling better is good, but I sure hope I have my voice back soon.   I have Murphy's second birthday party tomorrow!

Anyway, in looking over my sub notes, a colleague wrote,

"I don’t want this to sound sexist, but in general the girls worked really hard and the boys did not (with a  few exceptions)"

Since this is based on observation, I don't really think it is sexist; although, it may be a little stereotypical.  Do you think it is a gender role?  What do you see in other classes?  Is this the "norm" or not so much?

3 comments:

  1. I think it can be normal at times. There are groups of both girls and boys that work harder than others, however to say that it is a gender role isn't necessarily true.

    I find it more interesting that the sub had to say "I don't want this to sound sexist..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (Second) Birthday To Murphy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Leisa! I'll pass that along :).

    ReplyDelete